Production of the Rambler automobile began in Kenosha, Wisconsin around the turn of the century after Thomas B. Jeffrey and his son Charles T. Jeffrey sold their successful bicycle business to Colonel Albert Pope. The transition from cycle to motorcar production was a successful one, and throughout the first decade of the twentieth century Rambler sales remained in the top ten. Success continued into the next decade, but Thomas Jeffrey passed away in 1910 and to honor his father Charles rebranded his cars as Jeffreys in 1914. This 1913 Rambler Model 83 Cross Country Touring, chassis 32374, is one of the last motorcars still branded as a Rambler. After narrowly escaping death during the sinking of the Lusitania, Charles sold the company to Charles Nash in 1916.
During 1913, Rambler produced only the 83 series of motorcars in four body styles all on 120 inch wheelbase and powered by a 318 cubic inch 42 horsepower inline four-cylinder engine with magneto ignition. This car is a beautiful example, the recipient of a gorgeous restoration and is finished in Brewster Green on the body with a black hood and fenders, black canvas top and green wood spoke artillery wheels. The seats are also of the correct type and pattern in black leather. The car also features handsome nickel brightwork, a single rear-mounted spare wheel, tool box mounted on the right running board, folding windshield, dual rear view mirrors, full set of side curtains stowed under the rear seat, robe rail on the back of the front seat, accessory speedometer and a horn mounted on the steering column.
This Rambler has recently received extensive mechanical work so it runs and drives well. With electric start and electric lighting, it is also quite usable for a car of this era. Properly restored and mechanically sorted, this beautiful vintage Rambler offers Nickel Era motoring in a usable, convenient and gorgeous package while perpetuating recognition of Rambler and the Jeffrey family's contribution to the American automobile industry.