Henry Knox was a contemporary of the Duryea brothers in Springfield, Massachusetts and began to build his own cars in 1900. His early cars, like this 1906 F-4 Tourist Runabout, were air cooled and featured cooling pins shaped like common nails spiraling around the twin opposed cylinders. Called "The Car that Never Drinks", the 168 cubic inch 14/16hp F-4 featured a two-speed planetary transmission, single chain drive, wheel steering, two foot-operated and one hand-operated brakes and a set of hand controls that are a marvel of complexity. This very attractive and well maintained older restoration is finished in the standard Knox green with patent leather mudguards, Black leather upholstery and a black cloth folding top. It rides on white wood spoke wheels with white tires, kerosene sidelights, a C.T. Ham "Vigilant" kerosene taillight and a Rushmore acetylene generator. The left-hand drive steering wheel folds for easier access and a McCord lubrication box on the dashboard takes care of dribbling oil into the engine and onto the drive system from which it contributes to road maintenance by sloughing off after it has served its purpose. This restored Knox F-4 has electric starting and was once a part of the famed Harrah's collection in Reno. A recent mechanical service and cosmetic freshening has returned the sparkle of its restoration to the crispness that collectors and onlookers alike appreciate in such relics of the earliest days of the automobile. Its mechanical configuration is exceptionally creative and delightful.
For more information on how to easily buy classic cars for your collection, contact us today and learn about our classic car consignment program.