Morgans evolved slowly, retaining distinctive, classic Morgan features like the sliding pillar independent front suspension shared with the first Morgan 3-wheelers and the marque's classic body construction of lightweight panels over ash framing. But while evolution was slow, Morgans did evolve and this 1953 Plus 4 exemplifies the progression.
It was built in 1953 as a righthand drive standard 'Flat-rad' drophead, then returned to the factory in January 1954 for conversion to lefthand drive. Later that year it was again back at Morgan's where it was updated to its present configuration with the 'new pattern' raised headlamp arrangement, a 'rounded stone guard' radiator surround and Cam Gears steering. It is also powered by the more powerful Triumph engine that was available from Morgan from mid-1953 instead of the previous model's Standard Vanguard unit.
Finished in a medium blue on the body with dark blue fenders, a medium blue leather interior and a dark blue cloth convertible top, this rare left-hand drive Morgan Plus 4 also is one of the more luxurious and expensive three position drophead coupe models. It has steel wheels with hubcaps, Firestone whitewall tires, dual rear-mounted spare wheels, wing mirrors, fixed sliding glass windows and a Brooklands steering wheel. It was originally sold and serviced by Fergus Motors, a New York City import dealership that was one of the first Morgan agencies in the United States. It has since received a ground up nut and bolt restoration and it is superb from top to bottom, inside and out.. It could be enjoyed as the lively classic Plus 4 that it is, but also is a strong enough example that it could be shown with pride and confidence. Impressively restored and presented, this is a classic Morgan which will delight its owner with its performance and panache.
Collectors of vintage cars that wish to buy classic cars for their collection can do so easily with the help of our classic car consignment program. We're here to help.