The first Chevrolet trucks went on sale in 1918, the same year that the Chevrolet Motor Company became part of GM. Chevrolet's famous series 490 auto was also new in 1918. This model was designed to compete directly with Ford's Model T. The 490 designation was based on the price the car was to sell for which was also the amount a Model T had been selling for. Mr. Ford immediately lowered the price of a Model T after the new Chevrolets were announced. The series name was changed to Capitol for Chevrolet trucks in 1927, which lasted only through 1928. This was also the last year for the four-cylinder Chevrolet. These trucks were powered by Chevrolet’s 171 cubic inch, overhead valve engine which produced 35 horsepower.
The vehicle was given a ground up restoration and has been consistently maintained both cosmetically and mechanically. The restoration shows little signs of wear. The interior is finished in simple black vinyl that is consistent with the work purpose of this truck and remains in excellent condition. The bed is a combination wood/steel construction and all of the wood is in excellent condition and has recently been refinished. The bed sides have just been refinished inside and out in high gloss, with all of the hardware cleaned and painted. All in all, the “business end” of this truck is in excellent condition and gleams with the new finish. The engine bay is extremely well detailed and the engine retains its proper carburetor, vacuum tank and distributor. The chassis is also extremely clean with restored wood-artillery wheels and nearly new tires. Whether used as an entry in a parade, the occasional drive to the hardware store or as an attention-getter for advertising a business, this 1928 Chevrolet Capitol truck is an ideal vehicle. You can be assured that seeing another one like it is unlikely and the chances of finding another in this condition are even more remote.