Cadillac felt less pressure than most American luxury car manufacturers to update its models annually, although that was soon to change under Alfred P. Sloan's leadership. The Model 59 was built from 1920 through 1921 and the latter year saw Cadillac move into a new 2 1/2 million square foot multi-structure facility that would be its home for many years to come.
Built on 125 and 132 inch wheelbase chassis, all were powered by the 315 cubic inch 90 degree V-8 engine designed by Henry M. Leland. With 79 brake horsepower (31.25 hp according to the NACC formula) it had plenty of power and torque to handle the large, closed bodies increasingly specified by Cadillac's upper crust clientele. When lighter open bodies were specified the performance was even better.
This 1921 Cadillac Model 59 is the long wheelbase 7-passenger open touring car body. Finished in red with black fenders and black leatherette upholstery and protected by a beige cloth top, it cost the princely sum of $3,940 in 1921, more than enough to buy a comfortable house. It is an older restoration still quite serviceable but showing signs of use.
It is righthand drive, and spent most of its life in India. Equipment includes tilt reflector headlights, a hinged steering wheel, varnished wood spoke wheels, rear-mounted spare, spotlight and a Klaxon horn. It has just had extensive mechanical servicing by one of America's foremost antique and specialist companies. These Cadillacs will acquit themselves well on tours and road events as well as being highly enjoyable for weekend drives where their quality and performance stands out.