After Rolls-Royce acquired Bentley's assets in 1931 it quickly terminated the 8-Liter model which threatened the Rolls-Royce Phantom's lock on the British luxury market. The Bentley name and reputation, however, had great value in the marketplace for sporting and owner-driven automobiles and Rolls-Royce in 1933 introduced a Derby built Bentley, the 3 1/2 Liter. It was based on a lightweight 10 foot six inch wheelbase chassis code-named Peregrine powered by a tuned version of the Rolls-Royce 20/25 engine with dual carburetors, higher compression and a sporting camshaft and enjoyed immediate acceptance and success. In 1936 the engine was bored out to 4,257cc with a 21 horsepower increase. The combination of more power, lighter coachwork and high quality construction at Rolls-Royce's Derby factory made the Bentley 4 1/4 Liter one of the finest open road touring automobiles of the Thirties. One of the first examples built, in July 1936, was this Park Ward Drophead Coupe delivered to Mrs. A. Lindsay Fynn. It still wears the same distinctive, comfortable, four-place coachwork and its original British registration, CXU 304, today, attesting to a pampered life with owners who recognized its quality, luxury and performance. Finished in subtle grey with black fenders, black cloth top and black painted cent lock wire wheels it exudes quality and refinement. The red leather upholstery wears an appealing patina and may be original. Other features include trafficators behind the rear-hinged doors, an enclosed rear-mounted spare wheel and tire, dual taillights, a single fog lights, fender-mounted mirrors and a flying-B radiator mascot. Right-hand drive, the interior wood trim is in good condition. It is in a remarkable state of preservation, a good, straight, solid, drivable and complete Bentley that wears its age well. A candidate for a straightforward restoration, it also can be used with pleasure and some pride in its preservation and patina in its current condition and convincingly demonstrates the appeal, quality and style of the pre-war Derby Bentleys.