Dr. Ferdinand Porsche's wide-ranging interests in all things mechanical - and practical - led him to include designs for farm tractors in his project portfolio beginning in the 1930's. As with all things from Dr. Porsche's fertile creativity, the tractors owed little to convention and much to efficiency and imagination. The first Porsche air cooled Diesel tractor designs were completed late in the Thirties. Commercial production was resumed after the war by two licensees, Allgaier and Hofherr Schrantz. The tractors' reliability and efficiency proved popular and in 1956 Mannesmann AG set up a subsidiary company to consolidate production under one roof - the former Zeppelin factory near Friedrichshafen - under the name Porsche - Diesel - Motorenbau G.m.b.H. Popular not only with collectors of agricultural equipment but also those who appreciate the performance and ingenuity of Porsche automobiles, Porsche tractors come in a variety of sizes and capabilities. This 1958 junior is a single cylinder diesel equipped with lights and a buddy seat on the left fender. Known by some as the "Volks-Schlepper," its data plate records that it was originally sold by Ateliers Ph. Goetzmann in Strasbourg, France. It has been restored to very high standards including a stainless steel exhaust system and is equipped with the hydraulic implement mounting system that made Porsche tractors, along with their competitors from Ford-Ferguson, especially adaptable and practical in a variety of applications. A serious Porsche collection is not complete without a Porsche Diesel tractor, capable of double duty both as a striking display and performing agricultural duties around the collection's grounds. There are none finer than this.