This may be the most completely, exhaustively, diversely equipped light fire truck ever created. It was built by GMC to patrol the grounds of the GMC plant at Pontiac, Michigan. Based on the new "Advanced Design" trucks introduced in mid-1947, the rounded fenders and hood, broad grille and teardrop rear fenders advanced GMC into the forefront of light truck design and were a natural for General Motors to use to enhance the fire protection of one of its most important factories. The design is classic fire truck, with an open driver's compartment behind a custom built vee-windshield. Chrome grille, bumpers and abundant bright accessories mark it as a singular construction. It may be one of the most completely equipped fire trucks ever built, particularly on its relatively small, utilitarian, wheelbase. It is, simply put, loaded, with two pumps (one behind the driver's seat driven by the truck engine and another at the rear with its own gasoline engine), spotlights, siren, ladders, brass nozzles and spigots, a hose reel, multiple fire extinguishers, water tanks, chemical tanks and lights. It even has its GM fire team clothing including helmets, boots and coats. A stretcher and blankets make it effectively an ambulance as well. It obviously has had little use at Pontiac and still enjoyed the best of care and attention so it appears today in nearly new condition. It is identified on its hood by the legend "GMC Fire Dep't." and there can't be many vehicles in the world with such a distinction.
Interested in owning a vintage GMC or other classic cars? Make sure that you contact our representative and learn more on our classic consignment program.