The 20/25 succeeded the 20 HP in 1929 as the Rolls Royce’s small-displacement model positioned below the flagship Phantom. Engineers made many improvements over the 20HP, and while it was an “entry model” for Rolls-Royce, it was still an exclusive, high-end automobile for a discerning clientele. The 20/25 featured an overhead-valve inline six-cylinder engine of 3,6690-cc and featured an aluminum crankcase, cast iron cylinder block, pressurized lubrication, and redundant ignition systems. The four-speed shifter was positioned to the right of the chassis in response to customer complaints that the 20HPs central-mounted 3-speed shifter appeared cheap and thus not to the standard expected of a Rolls-Royce. The chassis of the 20/25 was a traditionally robust affair, with a solid front axle, live rear axle, semi-elliptic springs, and four-wheel brakes assisted by a mechanical servo.
All of the improvements afforded the new Rolls-Royce 20/25 HP with upwards of 75 mph performance, depending upon the coachwork selected by the owner or selling dealer. Coachbuilders produced a wide variety of 20/25 styles, ranging from formal, closed limousines to more sporting open roadsters. The series proved to be quite popular, and nearly 4,000 were built between 1929 and 1936, making the 20/25 one of the most successful Rolls-Royce models of the pre-war era.
Offered here is a 1933 20/25 chassis number GSY70, equipped with its original Standard Enclosed Limousine coachwork by Thrupp & Maberly, Ltd. According to the chassis cards and ownership history supplied by the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club, it was sold through the legendary dealer Jack Barclay Ltd. to a Mrs. Jardine-White, later The Baroness de Kerchove. Subsequent owners included S. Webb & Sons Funeral Directors, and T.A. Bowker, Esq. who owned it in the mid-1950s. More recently, the handsome Rolls-Royce has received a comprehensive restoration and is finished in silver with blue fenders and feature lines. A burgundy chassis and red wire wheels fitted with polished aluminum discs offer a pleasing accent to the livery. Accessories include authentic Lucas headlamps, fender lamps, and a central-mounted driving lamp. Later-style Lucas taillights are incorporated into the rear wings to improve the visibility of the brake lights.
The cabin has been fully reupholstered and updated as part of the restoration. The chauffeur’s compartment is authentically trimmed in leather, which was harder wearing for the day-to-day duties of driving. The dark blue hides provide a pleasing accent to the silver body. Instrumentation and switchgear all present well in the refinished wood fascia. Wood trim also carries onto the door caps front and rear. In the passenger compartment, gray fabric broadcloth is used on the seat, door cards, and headlining and is presents in lovely order. There’s a central divider with a glass partition and a custom-built wooden drinks cabinet fitted during the restoration. Wood door caps and window surrounds are refinished to match and all in good condition with a consistent quality finish.
According to the build sheets, this car retains its original six-cylinder engine. Under the bonnet, the ‘six is tidy and authentically detailed, with evidence of use appearing on the block and other painted surfaces. It feeds a four-speed manual gearbox with the traditional right-hand gear lever.
The 20/25 has long been a favorite among marque enthusiasts thanks to its available performance, prestige, and user-friendly character. This handsome limousine is a great family-friendly classic with many opportunities for touring enjoyment with groups like the Classic Car Club of America or Rolls-Royce Owner’s Club.
Offers welcome and trades considered