According to extensive records and correspondence accompanying this very special, flat-radiator Morgan, Graeme Anton went to Peter Morgan in early 1952 to purchase a Plus 4 Roadster. His plan was to take delivery prior to leaving for University of Cambridge, but he was disappointed to learn that the steel that had been allotted to the Morgan factory for the remainder of the year had been allocated to cars already sold and scheduled for delivery. In order to meet the deadline, Mr. Morgan offered to sell Mr. Anton a rolling chassis prepared for receiving outside coachwork. For the coachwork, Mr. Anton approached Lionel Evans of Radpanels in Kidderminster, England. Radpanels had gained notoriety for having built the bodies for the successful Dellow trials cars (earning the car its lifelong nickname), and the two men struck a deal that would allow the car to be completed in time for Mr. Anton's departure for school. Construction techniques at Radpanels were markedly different from that of the Morgan factory, with the coachwork of this car being built over a steel tube frame rather than the ash wood used in the Morgan-bodied cars. Also, as Mr. Anton had been wounded while serving in the British Army, the doors were hinged at the rear to allow him easier access to the cockpit. The car was registered LAB 274 and delivered to its proud owner on September 30, 1952. Once at university, Mr. Anton joined and competed in the events of the Cambridge University Auto Club, taking part and placing in numerous rallies and hill climbs. In later years, the Plus 4's second owner, Quentin English of the British Morgan Club, acquired the car and competed in various club trials and sprints, winning a President's Cup in the Club Trophy with the car. Registration certificates from a portion of the 1970s are included with the documentation and apparently the Morgan sat unused through the 1980s. Its known history resumes in 1991 when the car was acquired by Melvyn Rutter. The following year, the car was enjoyed around England under the ownership of John Banner and even used by a friend for a honeymoon to the South of France. By the mid-2000s, the car had covered a mere 47,000 miles and was in the ownership of John Baroth who, with a friend, began to piece together the history of LAB 274. During the research, Mr. Baroth made contact with Mr. Anton, documenting his memories of the car when new. Mr. Anton sent many period competition photos and other items to Mr. Baroth, including the original green paint and leather samples that he had kept for nearly 60 years. Altogether, the history file for the Dellow Morgan is remarkably complete, filled with numerous receipts of restoration work but perhaps more importantly, with several handwritten letters from the car's original owner Graeme Anton and notes from many of its other caretakers. The car was subsequently restored in the UK to its original specifications utilizing the wealth of knowledge that had been collected. The Plus 4 then caught the attention of a major stateside Morgan expert and the Dellow Morgan was purchased and imported to the US for the first time in its history. It is apparent that this very special Morgan has been the source of countless fond memories since it was first built. Having been freshly inspected and detailed, this beautifully presented and rare coachbuilt Morgan awaits its next chapter of history.
Vintage cars collectors can buy classic cars for their collection through our classic car consignment program. It is a seamless service designed for collectors to leverage our global network and broker a private sale.