Rolls-Royce enjoyed a successful and growing market in the U.S. in the years after World War I, making it practical to consider opening an assembly plant. It chose Springfield, Massachusetts. Located in the Connecticut River valley, home to the armaments industry that had contributed so much to the defeat of the Kaiser and a growing, inventive machine tool industry, Springfield offered highly skilled craftsmen and a growing array of suppliers. Assembly started in 1921 using many components from England but soon the quality of Springfield-built Rolls-Royces brought more and more manufacturing in-house in Springfield, as well as sourcing many components from North American suppliers whose quality and reliability was frequently better than that of their British counterparts. Many Rolls-Royce collectors, especially those in North America, maintain that the Springfield-built Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost was the best of its kind. By 1925 when this 40/50hp Silver Ghost Pall Mall Tourer was delivered Springfield production was in full swing utilizing Buffalo wire wheels, Westinghouse starter and generator and left-hand drive. According to John Webb de Campi's 'Rolls-Royce in America' it was first used by Rolls-Royce as its 'New York Trials' car, maintained specially to demonstrate the quality and handiness of Rolls-Royce's Silver Ghost to prospective owners. With the arrival of the New Phantom it was sold on March 12, 1927 to one A. Hardart in Pelham, New York, probably Augustin Hardart son of the founder of the famed Horn & Hardart Automat restaurants. It was discovered some years ago and restored in Europe where the rear tonneau of the coachwork was reconstructed, retaining the original engine, chassis and body. The engine was rebuilt by Silver Ghost specialist Steve Litton in Ohio. One of the first series, left-hand drive, Springfield Silver Ghosts, it has a 3-speed center-shift transmission, making it particularly familiar and easy to drive on American highways. Finished in maroon with black fenders and body accents highlighted by gold coachlining, the interior is upholstered and trimmed in rich camel leather accented by maroon carpets bound in matching leather. The abundant interior wood trim is highly figured and beautifully varnished. Equipment includes Bausch & Lomb drum headlights, matching drum-style cowl lights, dual side-mounted spares, a rear seat windshield with folding wind wings, black cloth top, nickel plated exterior bright work and a trunk rack. This is a thorough, meticulous restoration to like new condition that has accumulated some touring miles subsequent to the restoration, proving itself on the road but sympathetically and consistently maintained so it remains capable of being shown with pride and confidence. It is one of the finest examples of the finest automobile built in the 1920's that will bring its new owner exceptional satisfaction and a rewarding ownership experience, a car that is done right, thoroughly and to very high standards.