Bentley entered the postwar era with a new aluminum cylinder head engine with overhead intake and side exhaust valves derived from the prewar 4 1/4 Liter, dual SU carburetors, independent front suspension and, for those suspicious of newfangled ideas like hydraulic brakes, a split braking system, hydraulically actuated at the front and mechanically on the rear wheels. While much of the Mark VI production wore the Standard Steel Saloon coachwork shared with Rolls-Royce the majority were semi-custom bodied by H.J. Mulliner, Gurney Nutting, James Young, Freestone & Webb, Hooper and Park Ward including this very attractive open 1952 Bentley Mark VI Drophead Coupe by Park Ward. Produced late in the Mark VI's production which ended in 1952, it benefits from the longer stroke 4 1/2 Liter (4,566cc) engine introduced in July 1951 with 150 horsepower. Right-hand drive with floor shift, it is a very pretty older full restoration in burgundy with tan leather interior and tan cloth top. The coachwork is particularly attractive and refined, with sweeping fenders, front hinged doors, full wheel covers, whitewall tires, driving lights, a center-mounted fog light, radio and, importantly, a power-operated top. The paint, bodywork, chrome, upholstery, interior trim and wood accents are particularly good and it has a new top. It is an orderly, correct, accurately restored bespoke bodied Bentley that still exudes quality and refined elegance while offering stylish top-down motoring on fine days and snug, secure enclosure when the weather is nasty. This is elegant postwar motoring that communicates panache and style whether driven or displayed.
Through our can consignment program we market to our international database of collectors, we also have a lengthy client list looking for special cars. Contact us for more details!