For many people around the world the Jeep 4x4 stands for much that is good about America: honesty, reliability, rugged, straightforward and strong. Conceived by American Bantam in the waning days of the Great Depression, perfected and produced in vast quantities by Willys and Ford during World War II, Jeeps were seen all over the world, from the jungles of the Philippines to the frozen wastes of Russia. Production continued after the war with Willys when this 1949 M38 was built. A direct adaptation of Willys Motors' postwar civilian Jeep, the CJ-3A, the M38 benefits from a strengthened frame and suspension and full-floating rear axle but still relied upon the Jeep's rugged "Go-Devil" 4-cylinder engine. This 1949 M38 Willys Jeep was embodies the square, flat, utilitarian design that facilitated production of thousands of its WWII predecessors. It has been competently restored to as-used military appearance in olive drab with matching upholstery and top, double jerry cans on a rear rack, whip antenna, pintle hook trailer hitch, front and rear seats, blackout lights and dual windshield wipers. The military Jeep inspires an unusual devotion and brings a smile to both onlookers and occupants. The Allies might have won the war without the Jeep, but it was a lot easier with it and its rugged dependability inspired -- and still inspires -- loyalty and respect.