The creation of Byron J. Carter, the CarterCar is by far the most successful friction drive, infinite ratio transmission automobile built in the U.S. in the early years of the last century and an early addition to Billy Durant's burgeoning General Motors in 1909. Powered by a 4-cylinder engine, the patented drive system employs an aluminum disc upon which rides a driven disc with its axis at 90 degrees to the driveline. It moves across the power disc, providing an infinite selection of speeds to the chain drive to the rear axle. In 1910, the year of this CarterCar, Carter introduced a patented cast metal chain housing that kept the chain lubricated and protected from road dirt. This 1910 CarterCar 25hp Model H has a known history from new, having been purchased from its original owner by a California collector in 1948. In addition to the 1948 Horseless Carriage Club application and 1913 service invoice from the CarterCar agency in San Francisco it has photo documentation of its 1980's restoration and extensive articles and other historical data. Its touring torpedo body with bucket-style front seats is finished in black with yellow coachlining, black leather upholstery and a black leatherette top. The wooden spoke wheels are varnished and it has two spares mounted at the rear. Brass E&J headlights, brass cowl lights, a brass bulb horn backed up by a brass Klaxon, clock, Stewart speedometer and other brass details make it a bright, shiny showpiece. The restoration shows some age but is well preserved and the CarterCar runs and drives well. Its rare and unusual drive system will make it the center of attention at local shows and tours while the ability to choose the ideal drive ratio from its limitless number of choices makes it ideal for parade use. With "No clutch to slip, no gears to strip" the CarterCar is a valued addition to any collection.