1937 was the first year for hydraulic brakes and the final year for Cadillac's fabulous overhead valve V-16 engine, a model which had set new standards for power, smoothness and under hood design since it was introduced in 1930. Quiet and imperceptible when running, the 452 cubic inch V-16 was ideal for large, luxury automobiles such as this Fleetwood Custom Imperial Cabriolet. It was first owned by Eddie Mannix, vice president of MGM pictures, who made it available to the studio's stars including Clark Gable who is reputed to have used it while making "Gone With The Wind". Gable, a car enthusiast of no mean accomplishments, is said to have been so enamored of this Cadillac's performance that he frequently drove it instead of riding in splendor in the back. Its design catered to high profile stars who valued the privacy of its blind rear quarters and luxurious equipment including a rollup division window that created a secure miniature environment for the privileged passengers with a separate clock, heater and radio for their pleasure and comfort. Built on a 154" wheelbase (the longest chassis of any American automobile), it has a known history from new and the 34,000 miles showing on its odometer has been represented as the total from new. It was displayed at the Meadow Brook Concours in 2008 and has been preserved in largely original condition by a limited number of collectors since it was sold from Eddie Mannix's estate in the late 1960's. It is of such quality and distinction that it is the only Cadillac known to have been supplied from new with a sterling silver Goddess hood ornament.