Started in 1917, Alvis began automobile production in 1920 and continued into the early days of World War II, resuming production in 1946. The first postwar Alvis had an overhead valve, 2,993cc inline six-cylinder engine, independent front suspension (something Alvis had pioneered in the early 30's along with a fully synchronized 4-speed gearbox) and hydraulic brakes. The TC21/100, introduced in 1953, developed 100hp. Alvis had always relied on outside coachbuilders and for years its most attractive bodies had come from the shop of Hermann Graber in Switzerland. In the mid-Fifties under a licensing agreement Graber-designed coachwork for Alvises was built in the U.K. This 1955 TC21/100 is one of only about 23 of this model actually bodied by Graber out of 727 built. Furthermore, only eight of this wide-grille style was built of which only three were on left-hand drive chassis like this, making it a particularly rare and attractive example. It has had only eight owners from new and is a remarkably original and well-kept survivor. First delivered in Switzerland to a Mr. Schild of Grenchen its fifth Swiss owner was the famed collection of Walter Grell. The older Light Blue repaint is sound but shows some aging. The Dark Tan leather upholstery is original and is beautifully patinaed and surface cracked, like a big, comfortable old overstuffed lounge chair. Even the carpets are original. It is equipped with a 4-speed transmission, radio and heater. The steel wheels have hubcaps and trim rings and it abounds in thoughtful, skillfully executed details from the egg crate grille to the three-piece rear window. The coachwork is a tribute to Graber's skill as a designer and to the craftsmanship of the artisans in his Berne shop. It has recently been mechanically recommissioned with rebuilt brakes but is otherwise thoughtfully preserved in the same condition in which it was proudly displayed in Walter Grell's collection for many years. An outstanding example of the forward thinking design of Alvis and the refined postwar coachwork of Hermann Graber, it will be a significant addition to any collection.