Introduced at the inaugural IAA Frankfurt Motor Show in 1951, the elegant new ‘W186’ Mercedes-Benz 300 Saloon and glamorous four-door Cabriolet D assumed the pinnacle of the renowned German marque’s model range. Soon informally dubbed “Adenauer,” the 300 continues to be inseparably associated with German chancellor Dr. Konrad Adenauer, the renowned political leader of Germany’s postwar “Economic Miracle.”
The classical styling cues, limited production, and hand-built quality of the 300 recalled the glamor and exclusivity of the glorious prewar Mercedes-Benz models yet it clearly marked a significant step forward with its rational proportions and modern engineering. Based upon a new tubular-steel chassis design, fully independent suspension, and a soon-to-be-renowned 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine, the 300 also featured rich leather upholstery, impeccably finished wood trim, and a jewel-like dashboard housing comprehensive and useful instrumentation.
A product of impeccable quality, all surviving examples of the 300, 300 S, and 300 Sc lineage are rightly coveted by astute collectors and marque enthusiasts today. Produced at the renowned Mercedes-Benz coachworks at Sindelfingen, all 300 models were endowed with painstakingly fitted body panels and hand-leaded edges and seams, yielding exceptional and obvious quality. Bright trim items were primarily crafted in brass, carefully fitted to each body, removed, and beautifully chrome-finished prior to final installation. Interiors were trimmed in rich wood veneers, cut in book-matched symmetrical patterns and finished to specific customer order.
Mechanical development of the 300 quickly progressed to include the uprated, triple-carbureted 300 S or “Super,” internally designated ‘W188.’ Tailored to the well-heeled owner/driver, the 300 S was offered with a choice of three sportier body styles (Coupe, Cabriolet and Roadster) on a shortened-wheelbase chassis. The more powerful 300 Sc debuted at the September 1955 Frankfurt Show as the ultimate expression of the series, featuring a welcome performance boost from Bosch’s sophisticated mechanical fuel injection. Massively expensive when new, the limited-production 300 Sc was the automotive choice of many of the era’s wealthiest buyers; consequently, just 200 were hand-built in total, including this 1955 300 Sc, one of 98 Coupes produced.
Accompanied by a copy of its factory issued Wagenkarte (production data card), this wonderful 300 Sc Coupe was factory-finished in Blue (Code DB320) paint over Gray (Code 955) leather upholstery and equipped with a Becker Mexico radio, automatic antenna, and sealed-beam headlamps. Following shipment to the United States, the 300 Sc was sold new in the appropriately glamorous locale of Los Angeles, California. As offered, it continues to benefit handsomely from an older professional restoration performed to concours quality by the late Charles Brahms. Known by many as “Mr. Mercedes,” the respected marque specialist from Irvine, California, restored nine 300Scs, and they count among the most desirable of the survivors. Used only sparingly and lightly mellowed since the restoration was completed, this 1955 300 Sc Coupe nonetheless features excellent chrome and brightwork and clearly benefits from detailing of the engine compartment, undercarriage, and interior under the prior ownership. Crucially, it retains the original chassis, engine, and body numbers matching the Wagenkarte. It was most recently on extended static display in a private collection, and will require some mechanical service and sorting before it can be enjoyed to the fullest on the road. Equally attractive and exclusive today as when new, this exceedingly rare and compelling, fuel-injected 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 Sc Coupe exemplifies postwar German design and engineering prowess and hand-built quality unlike any other car of its kind.
Offers welcome and trades considered
Stock number 7373
For immediate assistance please call us at +1-314-524-6000 or please fill out the following form and a member of our team will contact you.